You promised this year that you would finally plant that corner in your yard that has been screaming for attention for the last several years. Now is the perfect time to re-imagine that area and get it ready for summer enjoyment. Planning doesn’t have to be difficult if you follow a few simple steps.
Try these to get started:
- Draw a rough sketch of your yard so that you can see what you already have and see what you may add to complement the existing plantings around the yard
- Draw a careful sketch of the area you want to tackle. Include dimensions and sun exposure.
- Make a list of those plants you know you “must have”
- Check those plants’ tags at the garden center to determine if they will receive enough sun in the area you have in mind – this is quite important for the success of the project
- Identify the height and width of the plants you desire. It is important that their placement allows for growth as well as ample room to avoid crowding and or blocking sun from adjacent plants
- On your drawing place the plants in their respective positions and imagine how they will look together when finally planted
- Remember to choose plants so that you will have complementary contrasts in texture and color and size
- Also note the seasonality of each plant so that you can maintain four season of interest if possible
- Consider adding stones, sculptures and ornaments to the area for additional interest and design.
Enjoy your garden and congratulations on keeping your promise!